Thursday 28 January 2010

A clothes budget?

When I watch videos of people who are 300 lb or more I wonder what I am worrying about. At my worst (last summer) I have only weighed 240 lb - hardly anything by comparison. But I know I have spent most of my adult life unhappy with my weight. It's maybe not been the same physical problem for me but it's still been a huge mental problem.

I think back to my 20s when I was only 25 lb or so "overweight". What was I worrying about then? I wish I could take that person by the scruff of the neck and tell them to get on with their life. Not to keep thinking about how great life would be if "only" I could lose that little bit of extra weight.

One thing I've always found difficult being overweight has been buying clothes. Even at 225 lb it's really tough to find fitting clothes in the shops. I'm in that sort of "no man's land" between the plus sizes and the department store.

My waist at the moment is 45 inches. Usually on a rack of men's trousers that will give me just one or two pairs that I can try on. Most men's trousers go up to 38 inches or 40. The easiest thing I find is to buy the elasticated pairs of 42 inch chinos and wear those. The situation is worse in "trendy" men's shops. There sizes tend to go up to 36 or 38. That usually leaves me heading straight for the exit.

Tough also when you have the dreaded "moobs". Which I have. Even at my current 225 lbs I find I can't wear most T shirts. Department store sizes generally go up to 42 inch chests (XL). With a chest of 46 inches I'm straining the fabric and every T shirt looks wrong. As a result I have to wear either polo shirts or normal shirts. And even then "fashion" shirts look wrong on me.

I've been lucky that I've never had to use plus size shops or wear baggy sportswear. But it's not much comfort. I know that to feel "free" in a clothes shop I actually have to be at or near my goal weight. And I'm fed up with going into the shops and just feeling depressed at the options.

I look forward to that day I can walk into a clothes shop and buy anything in the store. I look forward to actually having a clothes "budget", instead of buying clothes only when and if I have to. And most of all I look forward to actually looking "smart" and well-dressed in casual clothes. It's going to be one helluva high.

No comments: